Sunday, September 25, 2011

Emotional Day

Today Hubby & I decided to drive down to Santa Cruz then drive up the coast. My heart was heavy as we started the day. My cousin Jonna's husband Larry was coming to the end of his battle with cancer. Larry always amazed me with his faith & determination not to let the cancer get to him. He always smiled & was confident God would see them through this. I was really struggling with enjoying the day. As we started our drive up the coast line, I got the call that Larry's battle was over & he was no longer suffering but instead in Heaven. My heart ached for my cousin Jonna.


I tried not to cry as we drove. We rounded the corner & caught glimpse of a magnificent little beach. We immediately stopped. Somehow, the beauty of God's creation soothed my soul. 




This little cove spoke so much to me. The rocks had been so battered by the stormy ocean. A hole had even been worn through the rock. Much like the trials of life wear holes in our lives. Yet, the hole added beauty & intrigue to the rock just like our trials & how we handle them add beauty to our lives.


When I saw this rocky ledge being battered by the sea, it made me think of my cousin Jonna. She was like that rock. She was being battered by the storms of this life. She was being slammed by death, grief & loneliness. Yet through all these trials, she was standing strong. God was going to stand with her & keep her strong.









I almost cried more because God had given me the picture I needed to see at the time I needed to see it. Our God is so good & His creation is so beautiful. It overwhelms me & leaves me speechless.
As our day progressed & we continued driving up the coast, God kept providing me with more & more scenes to remind me of His love & protection. 

If you look closely toward the top of the picture, you can see 2 little birds. There were lots of them on the beach. We were on top of them almost before we saw them. This verse popped in my head:

Matthew 10:29-31 - "Not even a sparrow, worth only half a penny, can fall to the ground without your 
Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to Him than a whole flock of sparrows."




 The beach can be so peaceful, yet...


so chaotic & overwhelming...
Through it all, God is waiting to shine His love down on us & reflect His glory through our lives just like the sun reflects off the water.








 Enjoying the beach with my wonderful Hubby.

More of God's beauty as we drove down the coast on Highway 1.






 I love the mix of man-made & God made beauty.
















The beauty of God's creation. I love how blue the lake is. We found this gem as we travelled through the mountains back to our hotel. 


It was a beautiful day filled with emotion. 



No comments: