Hubby & I are coming up on the 20th anniversary of our first date (Sept. 2, 1988). I can't believe it's been 20 years. As I look back, there's times I can't believe we made it. At other times it seems like it's been a breeze. We've had our share of fights, but we've always made up. We've had our hard times (lost jobs, health issues, etc.) and our great times (births of 3 kids, wonderful anniversaries, etc.).
These are my rules for a lasting marriage:
1. Put God first - if it wasn't for Him guiding us, even when we weren't paying attention, we wouldn't be together now. Have others pray for you & your marriage (we have felt the prayers!)
2. A sense of humor - being able to laugh at ourselves & with each other is a big help in a relationship. Life is too serious not to be able to laugh. Have fun with each other.
3. Become best friends - my hubby IS, without a doubt, my best friend. There is no one I'd rather be with. No one who can make me smile like he can. No one who can take his place.
4. Spend time together - how can you love someone if you don't spend time together. Sometimes that means taking up hobbies/interests that he likes & forgoing your own. Sometimes that means dropping what you are doing to go with him (even if you sit in the car & wait on him).
5. Never going to bed angry - life's too short to waste it mad at each other, especially when you're mad over stupid, little things. If you're mad, talk it out. And DON'T walk away! Make up - it's fun!!
6. Putting each other first, even over the kids - We love our kids, but our relationship with each other comes before the kids. We make time to have date nights. We take time to have weekends away just the 2 of us! Only when the 2 of us are right, does our family fall in place correctly.
7. Don't let others come between you - whether it be friends, parents, or co-workers. Don't let what others say about your spouse or what they have supposedly done, come between you. Talk it out with your spouse. Some people just like to start trouble or want to see you fail.
8. Love each other - emotionally & physically! (Email me if you need explanation!)
9. Stick together when things get hard - trials & problems will come. It's a part of life. But when they come, cling to each other & God! Don't blame each other, don't criticize! Talk it out!
10. Appreciate each other - & tell each other that! Let your spouse know you love them & what you love about them. Compliment them, flirt with them, make them feel special (because they are!). Make your praises more abundant than your criticisms.
11. Never say a bad word about your spouse to anyone else - respect each other enough to only say the best about each other. Spouse slamming is not good! It always gets back to your spouse & only hurts your relationship.
12. Don't over react when they snap at you. Sometimes it's not you. They may have had a bad day or been stressed. Find out all the details before you take offense & get angry or hurt!
Just a few simple rules that has helped us last almost 20 years & will help us last hopefully another 20 or more years!
(I love you honey! You are better than my wildest dreams! I don't know what I'd do without you!)