Monday, October 12, 2009

Pumpkin Day


Today was pumpkin day in our house. We had 6 pumpkins from my dad's garden which I needed to puree before they went bad. So I turned it into a learning opportunity.


So, we guessed which pumpkin weighed the most. Then we weighed them. They weighed 9 1/2 lbs, 9 lbs, 5 1/2 lbs, 5 lbs, 4 lbs & 3 1/2 lbs. Then the kids drew pictures of the pumpkins. Next we guessed which would have the most seeds. Then the fun began. I cut the pumpkins open & the kids took out the seeds. Later I counted all the seeds. We have a total of 2,861 seeds. The biggest pumpkin did not have the most seeds, the 2nd biggest one did.


Then my work began. I cut, peeled, cleaned, cooked, pureed & bagged the pumpkin. I also boiled the seeds & put them out to dry. Tomorrow we will roast them.  We got 28 cups of pumpkin puree. The kids were disappointed that I did not make something with the pumpkin tonight!

No comments: